Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Yeah, I know it was yesterday. But, I was spending time with my mother so I have a good excuse for the tardiness of this post. I just wanted to wish every mother out there a Happy Mother's Day!


It's days like this that really make me think about the important role mother's play in shaping one's life. It makes me think about how selfless my mother was for the sacrifices she made for her children. It makes me think about how strong she was for us after my father died when I was 14 years old. It makes me think about how brave she was to have to raise four children on her own.

It makes me appreciate that she was a strict parent, even though I didn't like it at the time, in order to raise honorable and decent human beings. It makes me appreciate that she grounded me for disobeying her rules (and I was grounded a lot!) because she was trying to teach her children right from wrong. It makes me appreciate all of her parenting methods, even though we butted heads on many occasions, because everything she did was for my benefit.

It makes me realize that she is now in her 70's and I need to spend more time with her while I still can. It makes me realize that I need to not let life get in the way of taking time to call her just to say hi. It makes me realize that I do not want to have any regrets when she is no longer here. It makes me realize that I need to think about all of these things more than just one day a year because it is Mother's Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment