Saturday, May 1, 2010

Chicken vs. Tourists

My husband and I ran into many different animals when we vacationed in Hawaii a few years ago. We had frequent birds landing on our lanai in the mornings looking for food. It might have been the pieces of bread and Doritos we left out to coax them but who knows.


At night, we would go searching for frogs around our condo. Mostly, there were adult ones but occasionally we would find a few little stinkers hopping around. Aren't they cute?


The other frequent visitors around the condo were snails. Huge snails! Look at the size of these things! Holy cow! I have never seen a snail that large before. We probably found about 20-30 of them every night we looked.


This beautiful peacock was one of many that we came across during a tour of a botanical garden. They were just freely walking around like they owned the place. They pretty much did though, since all the people would move out of their way as they walked around. When we tried to leave, there was one that refused to move out of the way of our car. After about 20 minutes, we realized that it was looking at itself in the reflection of our car. Talk about conceited!


We also saw this little guy there. Although, it did not look like he appreciated us being there. He was giving us a dirty look and watching our every move as we walked by.


This guy didn’t look to happy to see us either.


My husband and I are animal lovers. Not crazy animal lovers but we respect the fact that we share this Earth with them and don't do anything intentionally to hurt them. They can be fascinating to watch. However, on this trip, we ran into one animal that we were not too fond of.

We had pulled over to the side of the road along The Road to Hana and noticed a trail that we wanted to explore. As we walked up to trail, we noticed there was a chicken standing right in the middle of it.

The minute our eyes met, I knew we were in trouble. I can remember those beady, little, evil eyes like it was yesterday. As soon as we got within 15 feet of that satanic chicken, it started freaking out by clucking, wildly flapping its wings, and darting back and forth like crazy. We stopped in our tracks and so did it. We would take one step forward and it would start freaking out again. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Now, this trail was only about three feet wide so there was no way we could get around the chicken so we needed it to move in order to get through. I have seen too many “when animals attack” movies to know that I was not getting near that thing. However, I was ready to fight if I had to. I was going to get past it even if it killed me!


We really didn’t know what to do. It wasn’t budging and neither were we. We were expecting that at any moment, the chicken was going to charge at us and peck our eyes out! We didn’t have any weapons but my purse was pretty heavy and I was prepared use it if I had to. Like I said, we love animals but if it came down to me or the chicken, we were going to be eating well that night. (Just kidding, we wouldn’t really eat the chicken, it being possessed and everything.) Finally, about 15 minutes into the standoff, the killer chicken gave up and ran away. We were victorious!

I don’t think it actually went anywhere though. I could feel its beady eyes watching me the whole time we were on the trail. I think it was stalking us from the bushes. I swear it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment