Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Trip Into the Past

I wanted to test out my camera the other day and I figured a great place to go would be the Wind Point Lighthouse. I had been there a few years ago when my husband and I accidentally stumbled upon it. We have lived in the neighboring city for many, many years and had no clue this lighthouse even existed!




The following is posted on a sign next to the llighthouse:

To assist navigation around the point into Racine harbor, the Wind Point Lighthouse began functioning in 1880 with a kerosene lamp, focused and magnified by a third order Fresnel lens. Its light could be seen for 19 miles.

At 108 feet, it is one of the tallest and oldest lighthouses still serving navigation on the Great Lakes. Its fog horns, which last sounded in 1964, could be heard for 10 miles.

I think it's amazing how a kerosene lamp could be seen so far away. I bet they never imagined how much things would change over the decades. Our modern technologies would blow there minds!


No comments:

Post a Comment